Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A Sad Goodbye


Yesterday morning I said a final goodbye to one of the kindest and sweetest men I have ever known. He was taken from us way too early and he left behind a wonderful wife and a beautiful family. When Taps started playing from a lone bugler in the distance my eyes started to water. When the soldier presented the flag of a fallen hero to the widow, I was very happy that I had chosen waterproof makeup. It was so beautiful to see her honored in such a way and to see the military recognize the years of service that her husband had dedicated to the country that he loved so much.

But there is a little more to the story that makes it even that much more heart wrenching. You see, the wonderful man we said goodbye to was gay. Yesterday, the United States military honored the life and service of a man that less than a year ago would not have even been allowed to remain in the service if he had been open about his orientation. And his wonderful wife? She wasn't always a woman. For several years now she has been an advocate for the rights of Transsexual women and men and has been fighting for those that are homeless or disabled. It has only been in the last few years that laws have been passed that allowed the couple to be married. But yesterday, I watched two soldiers pay the highest of respect to them both with the folding and presentation of the American flag. On bended knee, the officer thanked her for her husband’s dedication and on behalf of the President of the United States, he handed her the flag and from his pocket he presented her with a coin from the state of Missouri.

Tears flowed and hearts wept. But on this saddest of days, I saw a glimmer of hope for our future. I wept for Carl, I wept for Robyn and I wept for our past. But I smiled for the days and years to come, because I saw a future where sexual orientation and gender identification no longer define your status and rights as a citizen. I saw a future where all love is honored and respected and all life is considered sacred.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely beautiful. I'm glad you got to share that moment with them, and I am so happy that trans and gay people are being afforded dignity.

    ReplyDelete